Alternative names: Indigestion and Heartburn
The term ‘indigestion’ is a layman’s term and is used to cover the symptoms of a few different medical conditions.
Medical conditions that are often described as ‘indigestion’ and which have ‘indigestion’ as a symptom are:
- Heartburn (gastroesophageal reflux)
- Non-ulcer dyspepsia (when you have symptoms of an ulcer but no sign of ulcer on investigation)
- Food intolerance, e.g. lactose intolerance
- Bloating and flatulence and
- Aerophagia (swallowing excessive amounts of air)